Thursday, April 23, 2009

"STORY TIME" Coming Into His Own

On the day my eldest son was born, it was a gray day with light drizzle coming down from the sky. I padded around, still in pajamas, feet snuggled into slippers, making my way to the fridge for my morning orange juice, when-Wow! Ouch! What was that? Hmmm, maybe it was a gas bubble... Not long after that came another "gas bubble" and soon I realized that it was much more than that. It was nearly two weeks after my estimated due date and this was my baby boy telling me he's ready to come into his own.

This was not the first time that he communicated with me. When I was pregnant with him there were times (okay, almost every night) that he wanted things like Chicken Ala King, canned Asparagus, Crab legs and a King Sized Snicker's bars for dinner. During my pregnancy I gained 70 pounds and boy, did my husband do a lot of running around trying to gather those items. My baby also told me that he enjoyed playing tennis, or karate, or soccer, I knew this by the way he kicked while still in my belly. I told him things too... putting headphones on my belly, not to share the calming melodies of Mozart, but Jefferson Starship, The Doors and the Beatles, instead. I told him how beautiful he was, of my certainty that he has already changed my life, how lucky I am that he chose me to be his mother. Promises whispered day and night that I would do the best I possibly could for him... and how much I love him. All of this communication before his grand entrance into the world!

I'd like to say that I was a sweet, rosy cheeked mother in labor at the hospital, but there were too many witnesses that would be able to dispute this. I thought I would focus on a crystal during my contractions and watch the Yellow Submarine (which I actually packed), while my husband sweetly wiped beads of sweat off my brow. Not to bore you with great detail as to what I was actually like, my best reference would be- rent the Exorcist. When my boy came into the world and was finally laid upon my chest, my head stopped spinning and all I could see was this amazing person that I was meeting for the first time, yet somehow already knew.

He will be 15 tomorrow and is everything I knew he was- even before I met him. He astounds me. Nevertheless, we have now entered into the teenage realm. A time that once again he is coming into his own, and doesn't have to hold Mom's hand as much. Part of it feels like going into labor all over again, discovering who (God Willing) he will be, although wanting to hold on to the way I already know him.
-for more stories, check out "STORY TIME" in the River-Rose Index

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words mean the world to me!