Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Krab Bento!

Warning: The following Bento's are still rough around the edges!

Bento is the art of a lunch box. In Japan many women pack intricate lunches for their loved ones, but here at River-Rose, there have been days my kids are lucky to get a PB & J in a sandwich bag!

Recently, I ordered Bento Boxes for them and at first was afraid that it would take too much time and that I would be up late at night re-creating the Mona Lisa from bits of Bologna. So I made a secret promise to myself to not be a Bento perfectionist (which is a promise easy to keep)!


The above Bento includes a Krabby Patty wrapped in a Flour Tortilla, Fried Rice, Veggies and Fruit!

My kids love all things sea food, and unfortunately it seems the more expensive it is, the more they love it. At the store, rather than pleading for candy, they beg for prawns and crab. The solution? Inexpensive, imitation crab meat. I bought a package for about $3, and have made Sushi, Noodles and Krabby Patties with it for their lunches.


Ramen noodles topped with Krab and Veggies, sliced Grapes, a Grape Nut Cookie and a smear of Peanut Butter.

Krabby Patties:


Ingredients:
1 Package of imitation Crab Meat (Krab)

3 Cups Bread Crumb

3 Tablespoons Flour

3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise

1 Teaspoon Baking Powder

1 Teaspoon Crushed Garlic

1/4 Cup Lemon Juice

1 Tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning

2 Eggs

1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 Tablespoon Butter


Directions:
In a frying pan, melt Butter and Olive Oil on Medium-High heat. Dice the Krab meat into small pieces. Mix all of the remaining ingredients together and form into 3 inch balls, then flatten into patties. When the oil is hot, place patties into the pan and cook 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, That's way cool! My kids are grown and love seafood! I'm glad they do (not that picky) but it IS an expensive eat! BTW-I might try those recipes, thanks Lady!

    ReplyDelete

Your words mean the world to me!