Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thankful Mistakes


I’m a big believer in mistakes. As a matter of fact I make them at least twice a week, okay; truthfully, every day. Some mistakes turn into the best thing ever. How so? I once tried to make homemade Polenta (essentially grits) to go with a dish for dinner guests, but I was out of Corn Meal, so, I used Corn Flour. It turned into a big blob and obviously would not work for my meal. I then tried to cover my mistake by adding more flour to create dough, rolling it out on the counter, cutting it into long strips, baking it with a drizzle of Olive Oil until golden brown. My guests just gushed over the “breadsticks” and asked for the recipe. That mistake went pretty good. Unfortunately, there have been others that have not gone over so well. I once placed a pot of eggs on the stove to boil and totally forgot about it until the smell of burning eggs began to fill the house. It took two days for that smell to dissipate, and I’ll never live that one down as my husband still wonders how in the world anyone can burn a boiled egg? Then, there are those famous cooking mistakes that people make when cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the first time. Leaving the bag of gizzards within the Turkey is a common error that first timers make, only to be discovered at the magical moment in which everyone is gathered around the table hungrily watching the Turkey being carved. Luckily, that one has never happened to me because I either fill my Turkey with a sage stuffing, or herbs, apples and even oranges which helps give flavor and tenderness to the bird. A good cook always seems to learn through trial and error, although if you are not up to that challenge this year, there are restaurants that would be happy to serve you up a delicious Thanksgiving Dinner with all the trimmings!

Alaska’s Best 8th Annual Thanksgiving Dinner.
November 26, 2009, 12:00 – 4:00,
Rupert Elks, 85 South and 200 West, Rupert

A delicious turkey dinner with all the trimmings is free of charge to anyone. If you need a ride we will come and pick you up. If you are unable to come, we will deliver. Call 431-5899, 260-1848, 436-2447 before 3:00 p.m. any day after Nov. 15th thru Nov. 25th. On Thanksgiving Day Call 260-1848. If you can’t make it to the Elks Club on Thanksgiving, check out Alaska’s Best for a great Halibut meal!
Alaska’s Best Restaurant
Wild Alaskan Halibut and Chips
504 7th Avenue
Rupert
Phone: 436-2447/ email: Alaskas_Best@hotmail.com
****

JB’s Restaurant Thanksgiving Buffet
Begins at 10:30 A.M. and runs until 9:00 P.M. so you can get an early start and still have time for a nap. If you go, you will most likely need a nap after feasting on Turkey and Ham, stuffing and all the fixings including Pumpkin, Cherry and Apple Pie. It’s all you can eat and the price is $9.99 for adults and kids under 11 can dine for $5.99.
136 East 5th North Street
Burley
Phone: 678-0803

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your words mean the world to me!