Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Blind Leading The Blind

Jade is twelve years old (that's 84 in human years!) and she thinks she knows just about every move that I am about to make. She should. We have spent many years together, fly fishing, camping and raising a family. Over the years it amazes me how much I have come to rely on her. She's the one that the children used to put into a dress and she is also the reason the meter reader knocks on my door before he enters into my backyard! After all these years, whenever I work outside she always walks ahead of me, as if she knows what I am about to do.
****
Recently, I have discovered that she is completely blind. I took her to the local vet and he said, "Let it play out, just don't move the furniture!". So, now she is laying by my feet and boy is she stinky. I wonder, is it wrong to Febreze a dog? She snores big time. Funny thing, if I get up to get a glass of water, she gets up as well. She still thinks she knows what I am about to do and she starts off, walking ahead of me. In my opinion, it's pretty presumptuous on her part. Although, as graceful as she is in her blindness, she still hasn't mastered the stairs or occasional wall and that's just fine with me. I am learning to read a few of her moves as well!
****

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful love story and transition for the both of you -friends Forever-- many thanks for the story and picture of Jade-- California Sunshine

    ReplyDelete

Your words mean the world to me!