Sunday, April 11, 2010

The little princess

When a young lady of 17 asked me to be her hostess mom for a local Young Junior Miss Pageant, it was one of those things that before finding out what it really meant, my answer was yes.
I had known her since she was three years old and watched her grow all the while.
*
Not one for knowing much about pageants, I asked her, "What is it that you want to achieve?"
She is a petite thing, dare I say under 5 feet tall, and does not find herself in full blown hair or make up as often as she finds herself in tee-shirts, behind the lens of a camera-- photography is her passion.
*
"To find my voice." She replied.
How perceptive of her it is to realize this at such a young age.
This has been a process that we have found ourselves a bit out of our element, but the importance of her finding her voice kept us both grounded. She seems to shine in her individuality and is determined to be comfortable with herself, irregardless of what is going on around her.
*
All I know is I am here to provide support.
The best outcome of next week's pageant would be that decades later, she can go to her photo album, pull out the picture of herself in a gown, and recall on the experience with a grin.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful post Christina, I am sure she appreciates having you by her side. I love that expression...'finding your voice', rings true for us too!

    Jeanne:)

    ReplyDelete

Your words mean the world to me!