Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mama Reads! "Sleeping Naked is Green"

Hello River-Rose Readers!

My daughter, who created this blog and is a freelance reporter for her hometown paper, asked me to post some comments on books that I am currently reading. According to her, since I'm always reading two to three books at a time (very eclectic readings by the way) she thought her readers might get a kick out of her Mama's book reviews. So, I am posting my first review! By the way, we would love to hear your own personal comments about what books you are currently reading. Thank You! River-Rose's Mama

How an Eco-Cynic Unplugged Her Fridge, Sold Her Car, and Found Love in 366 Days
Vanessa is a reporter for a very conservative newspaper in Toronto, Canada. She takes upon a challenge to "green" her life for 365 days. Here's an excerpt:
*
"Thinking up 365 ways to green my life and writing about it every day for and entire year probably qualifies as the most asinine idea I've come up with in the twenty-eight years of an otherwise uneventful neurological activity. In fact, the only thought running through my head right now is that surely, if I had a boyfriend and a better social life, this would never have happened. Since when do I care about recycling and public transport? Or compost? Or blogs? I wish I'd never seen "An Inconvenient Truth". You know what's really inconvenient? Thinking up 365 ways to green my life and writing about it every single day for an entire year. What Have I Done?"
*
Vanessa might be thirty years younger than this book reviewer; but, because of her humorous honesty and fantastic wit, I found the book totally enjoyable and educational as far as how we can all begin to take small steps towards being more green-without all the preachy stuff!
Check out her book or blog at:

3 comments:

  1. Good one! Not sure I would have picked that one up based on the cover alone but now that you have reviewed it I will definitely have a look :)

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jeanne,

    Thanks! Just goes to show- don't judge a book by it's cover :) My mom really liked it and thought it a good read. She devours books and often reads 3-4 books at one time - in one week! I'm glad she is writing her book reviews because often she will suggest one and I will make a mental note to check it out and then forget. Can't wait to see what she's reading next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review my little book... and trust me, I fought long and hard to change the title (it's way too cheesy for my liking, but publishers know what sells, I suppose). All the best with your green pursuits (even if they don't involve unplugging the fridge)...:)

    ReplyDelete

Your words mean the world to me!