Weekly Guest Food Review (03/03/2009)

What’s For Dinner?

Roll up your sleeves

As a teenager who enjoyed extra pocket money, I looked forward to being introduced into the workforce. Like many folks before me, it soon came time that I had to roll up my sleeves and find an after school job. From my freshman year and beyond I was afforded wide and varied work experiences, trying everything from being a life-guard to making pizzas. One of my most memorable experiences came in an unusual way. A favorite hang out was a little “mom and pop” hamburger joint right across the street from my house. This was a tiny place and seated, at the most, about 20 people, but that didn’t stop a line from forming. The owners were friendly but most of all busy, working together like a well-oiled machine. They made a burger that I was especially fond of and the moment I walked through the door it was obvious what I was going to order, as I could never find the will power to try anything else on the menu. This was a sure thing and as predictable as my order; so were the owners in the care they showed to their customers. With the sweet sound of a tapped bell, my order was up and within moments my hands would be gripped around a hot messy burger that one wouldn’t dare to set down until it was entirely devoured. Stomach satisfied (for the time being), and ten napkins later, I asked for a job application. Perhaps, because they could see in my eyes a soul that truly appreciated their edible works or because they couldn’t get rid of me- I was hired. That summer I tried my hand as a fry cook and learned its not so easy being on the other end of the counter. Despite the hot grill, long hours and endless orders, I never tired of the end product itself. This was especially true when walking home after my shift, warm to-go bag tucked securely under my arm. That was many years ago and the last time I visited my home town I noticed the little burger shop was no longer there. Just as they have moved on- so have I, but never so far away that I have forgotten the mouthwatering taste of my favorite burger or the hardworking people who made them.

Places To Visit:

Main Street Burger
333 West Main Street, Burley
Hours: Tuesday thru Saturday 6:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m./ Breakfast served until 11:00 a.m.
Take-Out: 678-3020


Aptly named for its location on Main Street, this burger joint serves up several choices of burgers, fries and sandwiches that are not only tasty but with portion sizes that are out of control! Owners of Main Street Burger, Evan and Iris are the heart and soul of this family operated business. As Idaho natives, they make efforts to buy all ingredients locally. Roll up your sleeves and try a customer favorite, the Pastrami Burger for $3.95, or the Mushroom Swiss Burger - $3.95, which literally spills out of the bun, especially when you splurge and order thick country bacon and Jalepeno peppers to top it off! For the kids, Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers are a great deal for just $2.95. All burgers and sandwiches can be upgraded to a combo that will include a soft drink of your choice, a big basket of perfectly cooked fries and luckily plenty of napkins! Although burgers are the “meat” of their business they also serve up a mean breakfast such as Biscuits and Gravy for $2.89 or a Combo consisting of 2 pancakes, 1 egg and choice of meat for $3.89.

**Behind The Scene**The burger I loved back then was indeed a Mushroom, Bacon and Swiss burger!

Comments

Popular Posts