Weekly Guest Food Review (03/10/2009)

What’s For Dinner?

A Toothless Grin
Today is the day for an important lunch appointment. Glancing at my watch and with butterflies in my stomach I head down the hall to the secretaries office. Trying to avoid illusive stares and clicking echo of my heels on the floor, I greet the secretary and sign in. Kindly, I am given directions to the dining area and handed a name sticker which must be visible on my lapel in order to gain access. Taking a seat, the rush of customers file past me with inquisitive looks until I finally see that familiar, toothless grin of the eight-year old that my date is with. Yep, I’m having a school lunch and no doubt, the ambience of this meal is nostalgic to say the least. With green tray in hand and after instructions to line up on specific colored tiles, my dining partner and I navigate through our choices. He is the expert here and I am grateful for his advice. Following his lead , I am advised on which flavor of milk to choose, then we head over and grab our meal, which on this day consists of Tacos. There are several salad dressings to choose from, with salad and veggies to boot! The seating is community style. Surrounded by the familiar faces of little tykes, it’s time to get down to the business of nourishment, but also socializing. With the buzz of many conversations and at such a fast pace, its hard to keep up. I feel lucky to have this moment and share in this daily ritual of a hot-lunch that many children experience. The food seemed to be seasoned with reminiscent times and the company shared was priceless. Fact of the matter; parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles can all find this to be a nice way to keep up in the lives of the children around us. The local schools welcome this interaction and both Cassia and Minidoka County school districts make it easy to have an affordable breakfast or lunch with your child. With the last bite of my cookie and while politely declining invitations for tether ball, I realized this “power lunch” was a perfect success- it was obvious from my son’s smile!

Cassia County Joint School District
237 E 19th St Burley, ID 83318
Food Service Department: 878-6626
www.sd151.k12.id.us

Monthly breakfast and lunch menus are supplied online or found at the school. This month features several items from, kids favorite- Pizza, to Popcorn Chicken with Dipping Sauce. Within this website, parents can track and pay for school lunches as well. Elementary school meal prices are as follows: Student Breakfast- Free, Adult Breakfast- $1.80, Student Reduced Lunch- $0.40, Student Elementary Lunch- $1.40, and Adult Lunch- $3.00.

Minidoka County Joint School District
633 Fremont Ave
Rupert, ID 83350
Food Service Department: 436-3625
www.minidokaschools.org

Monthly breakfast and lunch menus are supplied online or found at the school. This month features items from Spaghetti with Meat Sauce to Turkey Gravy and Mashed Potatoes. Elementary school meal prices are as follows: Student Breakfast- Free, Adult Breakfast- $1.35, Student Reduced Lunch- $0.40, Student Elementary Lunch-$1.35, and Adult Lunch - $2.55.

**Tid-Bit** It may help to call the respective school ahead of time and let the managers know so they can plan accordingly. All visitors must sign in at the office first.

**BEHIND THE SCENE**
The Taco I sampled was a soft taco of ground beef and cheese with a wheat tortilla. It made me feel good to see that the tortilla was wheat. The meal came with rice, corn and salad. I basically put all of those ingredients into the tortilla to make one "super stuffed" taco. The M & M cookie was yummy, but I really think they should give the adults two!

Comments

Popular Posts