"GUEST FOOD REVIEW" FROM THE WEEKLY MAILER (ISSUE-04/28/2009 )

As someone who enjoys cooking (and eating), I don’t know where I would be without my onions. These bulbs are so versatile that they can be enjoyed raw, baked, chopped, stewed and more. There are as many uses for the onion as there are layers to an onion! They also come in a wide variety of colors and shapes. From the beautiful and mild little shallots, the sweetness of the white and reds, to the practicality of the yellow onion. They add visual, flavorful and aromatic elements to any meal. This is one powerful bulb! What other food do we know of that makes us cry when preparing? (Although I’ve heard that to shed less tears, put that onion into the fridge for an hour before cutting.) That aside, onions have many health benefits, I remember my Grandmother telling me to eat my onions as they were “good for the blood”. It’s true! Onions contain natural chemicals that help fight disease and increase circulation within our bodies. So if your not going out on a date or having an important business meeting, try something different from an apple a day and pick up an onion!

Places to Visit:

Al’s Frostop
44 West Ellis, Paul
Hours: Mon.- Sat. 11:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. (9:00 p.m. during Summer)
Take Out- 438-5304


Al’s Frostop has long been a fixture within the Paul area and the owners have operated this shake shop for just under 20 years. Local’s know that their specialty is the homemade onion rings. Hand cut from colossal onions and hand dipped into a Tempura Batter, these rings are humongous! Priced at $2.69, an order comes with about six, but two of these stand in for the normal order of onion rings anywhere else. The batter does not overwhelm, and when you take a bite you can actually taste the onion. Another customer favorite is the Hubby Chubby ½ lb. Beef Burger priced at $6.59, although after an onion ring I was already feeling pretty full so I tried the Cheese Burger instead. Priced at $4.29, I was a little surprised that the burger was topped with cheese, mustard, ketchup, and relish. Personally, I really enjoy lettuce, tomato and onions on my burger so I made do by cramming another onion ring into the center. Later I noticed that lettuce and tomato are available for 35 cents a piece. If your going for dinner or if your really hungry, order up their Finger Steak Dinner which comes with a large Fry, scone and 2 onion rings at $8.99. They also have chicken strips, fish and chips, and popcorn shrimp dinners as well. During the summer months cool off with a thick, fresh strawberry or banana shake starting at a medium for $3.54, or get straws for the whole family and order the Jumbo which is 32 ounces of frozen-fruity goodness!

Comments

Popular Posts